The Hunting Accident


Last year my sister, Winona and I went hunting in the woods about an hour from our house. It was fall, and there were a lot of leaves on the ground.  We had two guns, and we went to our tree stand, I nearly slipped on the wet trail because the leaves were slippery.
“Why do you get to use the new rifle?” Winona asked me.
“Because I’m stronger” I whispered to Winona.
“Okay, whatever Dan, lets get out there before the sun goes down!” Winona replied.
“Ok fine,” I said silently, not to scare the animals away. As we climbed up the slippery ladder my leg slipped between the ladder’s steps.“Help, this hurts!” I yelled.`
“What happened? Are you alright?” Winona questioned me.
“Can’t you see?” I screamed in pain.
“Hold on, I’m coming!” Winona yelled, as she started falling off the ladder.
“Winona!!” I yelled as she fell 12 feet onto the hard, rugged ground.
“Dan, help. My head, it really hurts,” sister whispered as her eyes slowly shut. In this time, my sister wasn’t waking up, she was no longer breathing, and she was a faded blue that looked like she just got punched. I didn’t know what to do, I was in too much shock of what just took place. I started dialing the 911 number into my cell phone. When it began to ring, I lost service. My only choice was to find the nearest house for help and so my sister wouldn’t have to lose her life. I ran to the first house I saw in town. When I found a faded yellow looking house I rang the doorbell, my sister was loosely hanging over my shoulder like a rug. The friendly people who lived in the house opened the door with a smile, until they  took a glance at Winona. The lady at the door questioned me, “what on Earth is this?”
I told her the story and within minutes the ambulance showed up.
“How long has she been unconscious?” asked the paramedic.
“About 25 minutes, I had to carry her to the nearest house,” I replied with tears covering my cheeks.
“It’s going to be okay,” the friendly head chief told me,” we have experts on the job and we will try to do our best. While you are waiting why don’t you give your mom and dad a call for us?”
Picking my phone up off the cold, wet ground, I started trembling. Nobody knew that Winona wasn’t aloud to go hunting, I snuck her out, and that she had been hurt. The phone started to ring. “Oh no, what will they say? What will they do?” I thought to myself, “if only they knew I took Winona out of her room and with me to the stand.”
“Dan? Dan, is that you?” Mom said, as she picked up the phone.
“Hey, Mom. I n-need to tell you something,” my voice nervously replied, “I snuck Winona out and took her hunting and she fell out of the tree stand and is really hurt.”
"W-what? Is she okay? Where are you? What is going on?” my mother anxiously questioned.
“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean for any of this to happen and now she is in the hospital and I don’t know what to do!!” I quickly said, not wanting to take time to explain.
“Dan, Dan, calm down. We need to see your sister, we will deal with you later.”
“Oh boy, what have I done?” I thought to myself.
“I’m a murderer,” I thought in my head over and over again, “I am never going to be the same, because I killed my sister.”
My mom and dad came to the hospital to see my sister and were shocked to find out how badly hurt she was. “Please don’t be mad at me it might have been fault for taking her out to hunt with me!,” I told them. They believed that I was sorry, but that didn’t change the fact that I was still in a lot of trouble.
“What are you going to do with our daughter?” asked my mom to the doctor.
The doctor said to my mom “we can’t do anything.”
Then my mom started to cry and so did I and so did my dad we all cried together. We had one day to see if my sister would live or not. That meant we would spend all night awake by the hospital bed, right beside her.
To see if she would wake up we waited 15 hours later and then she finally she woke up and we were happy to see her alive.
“Do we need to give Winona any type of medication for her speech and her leg?” my mom asked.
“It’s a good thing you asked! I have one bottle of pills for her leg. She needs to take 2 a day or 2 weeks,” the doctor responded happily, “Winona is going to be a little unlike herself when she awakes. This is normal, though, because we gave her some medication to make her leg stop hurting so much.”“Will my daughter always have to to walk with a crutch?” my dad questioned.
“For now, yes. This leg is badly bruised inside and out and has a few breaks inside that may be permanent,” Winona’s doctor said, “so for now it would be best if she uses the crutch and goes to therapy twice a week.”
“Okay, that should work out for us.” agreed the parents.
Even though she was alive she had some problems speaking normal again, and she also now had to walk with a crutch for a while.
“I’m so glad you're not dead!” I said to her.
“What happened?” Winona asked me.
I told her, “you fell out of the tree stand.”
She couldn’t remember what happened so I had to tell her all of what happened and she was surprised, she said she remembered bits and pieces of the accident.
“Is this true?” Winona nervously asked our mom.
“Sadly, it is. I am so thankful you made it,” Mom responded.
After the nurses confirmed that Winona was going to be okay, the family checked out of the hospital and were on their way home. On the 20 minute ride to the house Winona was still dizzy and wasn’t feeling the best. She was really relieved that she would be okay, but was bummed she had to walk with a crutch.
“Thank you guys so much for caring for me as much as you do. I love all of you.” Winona said quietly from the back seat.
“We love you too Winona.” Mom replied.
After that, I never snuck Winona out again and I also wore a safety harness every time I went hunting. That day was a life changer, I never knew something so special could be taken away so fast. I am truly blessed for everything in my life.